Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Help where you can and do no harm




I was enjoying my "free" cooked breakfast yesterday at my local greasy spoon, it was not free to start with, but it ended being my fee for some consulting with the restaurant owner and chef. I had noticed the owner was not as loud as she usually was and looked ill, I spoke to her as I paid, and asked how she was keeping and how was the business performing as you do. (she knows I am looking for work and has offered driving employment, payment COH, I pass each time) I received the full story, and it was not pretty, but what was worse she did not see a way out of her trouble, I recognised the fundamental problems of someone running there own first business, with a low margin and high staff turnover. I asked if she would take some advice, she nodded but said what did I know about running a catering business, I said I used to run a full-service guest house, she smiled. I then proceeded over fresh coffee to give her the small recovery plan, prioritising, relieving her main pain points quickly, and breaking down her next set of actions. The way forward for her will not be easy for her; this is real life and complicated, but as she said, getting her "head out the sand." makes a big difference, and getting a simple vision established, with objectives and goals in place has helped her.


No comments: