Thursday, September 21, 2006

Work life balance or the lack of it...





" Every sunrise and sunset is unique as you are"



Work / life balance….

I have been asked about this before and my views have matured over the last few years on the subject.

  • I have heard the insurance policy reason for work now life later, I will work hard now and then when I cash out I will retire and do what I really want to do. The problem with this is that you may never get to do what you really want to do!! And you have spent 10, 15, or 20 years doing something that you don’t like. We have on average 30,000 days of life to use, to spend 8,000 of them on something you don’t like sounds like a waste of time to me.

  • There is nothing else to do excuse, what else can I do, I am sorry for you, a brain the size of the universe and an imagination as big as you want, and the only dream that you have is what you are doing at present, you can do what ever you want to do, so what if you don’t succeed, you have tried and had fun in the process.

  • There is the work-a-holic who slowly becomes so involved in the job that they forget and neglect real life and the people around them. There was one start up company I worked with that had the top three guys divorced and one become to dependant on the “sauce” within a few years of starting up, all could be related to there work ethic, was it successful, yes, in one a way, a good trade sale and cash out, but the emotional capital it took could never be regained.

The reason I was thinking about this was because of the drive in to work this morning, I saw an awesome sunrise and thought how cool would it be to be taking a few pictures of that now, record it for the future it would never be seen again, there is more to life than work, there is a life which encompasses all that we do and are, it is up us to make the most of it for ourselves and for the world we find ourselves living in, what do you want to be remembered for in this life.

Slainte

Gordon

No comments: