Friday, August 04, 2006


This is my dream home…it was a house I discovered when I was exploring the backwaters of the Maine coastline…I could see my self sitting on the decking watching the sunrise over the sea ….while drinking my hot java black…and crunching into my hot bagel and cream cheese…then going for a jog / “yomp” along the beach…the beach has always been a fascinating place for me to explore..it is new every morning ..the tide has come in and changed the scene…taken away something’s and left behind others….each wave is different ..it reinforces my beliefs in a God….

This is one off my dreams….we all have dreams …I have heard many an entrepreneur talk about what they will do when they exit or IPO ….they will do this or they will do that….with events that has happened in the last few years in my life…I know that for some tomorrow may never come…and they have wasted all the years they did have on chasing the dream…I would ask all those who are setting out on a new venture..to read a book “ The Monk and the riddle” by Randy Komisar, I will not plagiarize it here …but in summary, it speaks about the journey being more important than the end destination…and the passion that you make that journey with..he relates it to starting a new venture and goes through the story off a start up that he coached into life….it has always stayed with me…and it’s concepts are fundamental building blocks to my life now…and to how I recruit/ build / coach my teams…and build the company…”if you work with this company is it a job you could do for the rest off your life”…and still enjoy it ?… we may make plenty off money in an exit or IPO..but we may not….so why work at a job you hate..just because you may in a few years be able to move your dream into reality…it may never happen…

If you are thinking off starting your own company..the days off the Dot.com’s have gone…and we are in a new era off investment strategies…the venture capital industry was burnt badly ….and they have a long road to travel before the can fully trust the High technology sector again….so look to why you are starting your company and setting out on that road…and examine your motivations…challenge yourself…do you have a passion for the technology..the people…the business or is it the means to making your dream come true…is it only for your “Retirement fund”

Have a great weekend....


Slainte
Keltie

No comments: