Thursday, February 15, 2007

Glenda Watson-Hyatt's virtual book tour

An article from Pam Slim's blog, something different for a change, it is an interview with Glenda Watson-Hyatt, who suffers from CP, she is an amazing lady..please read...some days we get caught up in the poor me poor me syndrom..well maybe this will help.....
Glenda Watson-Hyatt's virtual book tour

I thought it fitting that today I am one of 40 stops on my good buddy Glenda Watson-Hyatt's virtual book tour, promoting her autobiography I'll Do it Myself. I have lots of love and good thoughts for her, and I have written about her publishing journey in my ezine in the past. Her book shares the story of her life, in a way that she hopes others will see that "Living with cerebral palsy is not a death sentence, it is a life sentence!"
Glenda is a great writer and one of my favorite feisty Canadians. She wrote this book with her left thumb.
Following is my interview with Glenda about her book:
Q: I know that you bypassed the opportunity to sell your book to a U.S.-based publisher so that you could have it included in Library and Archives Canada. Why was that so important to you?
One issue that really caught my attention while doing my Communications minor at university is how Canadian identity and culture is so influenced by American culture, and how steps are taken look to identify Canadian content ("Cancon"). From my understanding, Library and Archives Canada is one of those steps: only publications published in Canada are eligible for deposit in this library, which preserves Canadian heritage. By having my autobiography I'll Do It Myself in the library, it was my way of contributing to Canadian history. Regardless of where this book may lead me through the years, I began the journey at home.
What advice would you offer all those aspiring writers out there who constantly stop and start their book projects?
If you are serious about your book, if it is your passion, your dream, then keep at it. Take it one step at a time, whether it is one chapter, one page or even one paragraph at a time. Make time to write, which means prioritizing and letting go of tasks that truly aren't necessary or aren't bringing you closer to your goal. Make your writing a priority, but don't lay a guilt trip on yourself if you don't write when you had it scheduled. Creativity doesn't always flow according to schedule; however, if you are more creative at a particular time of day, try to schedule your writing sessions then. If the words don't flow today, try again tomorrow. Word by word your book will be written. When you are done, it is such an awesome and satisfying feeling!
What did it feel like when you cracked open your first box of books?
When I opened the first box and saw my book for the first time, a wave of emotions came over me. Thirty years of dreaming, preparing, researching, visualizing and writing became real in that moment. I had done it! I had written and self-published my book. And they were beautiful! There were a few happy tears. I can only imagine that it is similar to giving birth and holding your baby for the first time.
What have the results been so far of your virtual book tour?
When I began this virtual book tour, I didn't know what to expect, although I did have some outcomes that I hoped would materialize. I am beginning to see those results now. The viral marketing phenomenon is starting to kick in as bloggers are reading my interviews on other blogs and are either contacting me to host an appearance or are mentioning my book on their blogs. The momentum is building now and I sense amazing things are about to happen. Hopefully book sales will soon follow. Overall, participation in and support for my virtual book tour have been fantastic.
What is next for you Glenda?
Because this book was thirty years coming, I want to do all I can to promote it. I still have six boxes of books sitting here, and I would love to do several more print runs before I consider the promotion completely done. I am curious to see what opportunities present themselves by doing all this promotion. I also want to develop an e-course “Accessibility in Action”. Over the years, I have found that people have fears when interacting with those with disabilities because they simply don’t know what to do and they are too embarrassed to ask. I want to address those fears by providing practical information and a safe place to ask questions. The e-course would include topics like what language to use when referring to people with disabilities, tips for when communicating with people with disabilities, ideas for when choosing a gift for a relative/friend/colleague with a disability, suggestions for how to include a classmate with a disability at your child’s birthday party, and many other topics. My goal is to include hands-on and practical information that people can use in everyday life. Meanwhile I wait for my next dream to be planted.
Finally, what is the link for people to sign up to host a stop on your tour?
People interested in hosting a stop on my virtual book tour can check out my schedule (http://www.doitmyselfblog.com/glendas-schedule-and-appearances/) and choose an available date.
Pam, thank you so much for hosting today's appearance of my virtual book tour, and for your support and friendship this past year as I finished writing and then self-published I'll Do It Myself. I truly appreciate it. And I look forward to celebrating with you when your book is published! Happy Valentine's Day, sis.
Happy Valentine's day to you too Glenda! Thanks for your continual inspiration and friendship. Keep kicking my butt to move my own book project forward, as I can use the harassment!
For those of you wanting a great read and some positive inspiration, buy the book!




Slainte

Gordon

No comments: